This article will show you how to point your custom domain to your Placester site if you purchased your domain at iPage.
If you have a custom domain that you bought at iPage and want to use it on your Placester site, you can substitute it for your standard siteX.myrealestateplatform.com web address. Here are the instructions to do this yourself.
Log in to your iPage Account
Click Login in the top right to get logged in. If you can't remember your login information, click Forgot Username or Password?
Once logged in, you'll see your Control Panel. Under the Domain section, select DomainCentral.
You might also see this option under the My Favorites section.
DomainCentral will show you a list of your domains.
Click on the domain that you'd like to edit. This expands the editing options. Select the DNS tab.
Modify the DNS Records
Using the Modify drop down, you'll need to edit two records: the CNAME Alias and A Record.
Step 1: Change the CNAME (Alias)
Select CNAME (Alias) from the Modify drop down. Edit the CName with a host of "www" by using the Action drop down and selecting Edit:
It should end up having the following settings:
- Host: www
- Points To: domains.myrealestateplatform.com
Step 2: Change the A Record
Select A Record from the Modify drop down. Edit the A Record with a host of * (using the Action drop down and selecting Edit) so that it has the following settings:
- Host: *
- Points To: 220.127.116.11
The settings should look like this (you might have other A Records set that you can leave alone):
Save all of your changes. When this is complete, log into Placester.com to complete the final step.
Site Settings > Custom Domain
This will bring you to the Custom Domain slide out.
Custom Domain Slide Out
Within the custom domain slide out, add the custom domain that you're looking to use. Use only lowercase letters, and be sure to include “www” when adding in your URL.
Example: www.placester.com (use your own custom domain here).
Click Add Domain, then click Save.
If you've made all of these changes and are finding that your site still isn't loading, here are some potential causes:
1. Caching: You have a cached copy of the site on your browser. Try clearing your cache, using a new browser or testing the site on a mobile device.
2. Propagation: DNS adjustments take longer to propagate with certain domain registrars. We like to test and make sure everything has propagated using www.WhatsMyDNS.com.
3. Errors in Site Settings > Custom Domain: make sure that you included the www before the custom domain and you didn't use any capital letters. Otherwise, the site will not load.
Pro Tip: DNS Tools
Here are some DNS tools that we recommend:
Need More Help?
If you have additional questions about pointing your custom domain to your Placester site, let our support team know at email@example.com.