Mapping is the process of replacing your existing Placester domain with a custom one you have purchased from a third party provider. Placester always recommends that you map your domain rather than forward it. To find out more about the difference between mapping and forwarding click here.
This article will show you how to point your custom domain to your Placester site if you purchased your domain at Register.com.
If you have a custom domain that you bought at Register.com and want to use it on your Placester site, you can substitute it for your standard siteX.myrealestateplatform.com web address. Here are the instructions to do this yourself.
Log in to your Register.com Account
Click Manage Account in the top right corner of Register.com home page in order to get logged in.
This brings you to the Register.com Sign In screen.
If you can't remember your password, click the Forgot your password? link. If you're having trouble with your account information, contact Register.com at (877) 381-2449 or create an email ticket from their Contact Page.
Once logged in, scroll down to the Account Dashboard section.
Hover over Domains, then click Manage.
You'll be brought to your Account Manager page, which shows you all of your domains and services that you're subscribing to.
Click Manage next to the domain that you'd like to use.
Advanced Technical Settings
Scroll down to the Advanced Technical Settings for your domain. Two settings will need to be edited: the "A" and "CNAME."
Step 1: Edit the A-Record
- First box (Host): @
- Second box (Points to): 22.214.171.124
Step 2: Edit the CNAME
- First box (Host): www
- Second box (Points to): domains.myrealestateplatform.com
Site Settings > Custom Domain
This will bring you to the Custom Domain slide out.
Custom Domain Slide Out
Within the custom domain slide out, add the custom domain that you're looking to use. Use only lowercase letters, and be sure to include “www” when adding in your URL. Example: www.placester.com
Click Add Domain, then click Save.
If you've made all of these changes and are finding that your site still isn't loading, here are some potential causes:
1. Caching: You have a cached copy of the site on your browser. Try clearing your cache, using a new browser or testing the site on a mobile device.
2. Propagation: DNS adjustments take longer to propagate with certain domain registrars. We like to test and make sure everything has propagated using www.WhatsMyDNS.com.
3. Errors in Site Settings > Custom Domain: make sure that you included the www before the custom domain and you didn't use any capital letters. Otherwise, the site will not load.
Pro Tip: DNS Tools
Here are some DNS tools that we recommend:
Need More Help?
If you have additional questions about pointing your custom domain to your Placester site, let our support team know at email@example.com.